Family Based Immigration


Related posts

  • TPS (Temporary Protected Status) Extension for Honduras - The US government created the TPS category in 1990. With it, a non-permanent status is granted to foreign nationals forced to leave their homeland. Their reasons for departure can be due to an armed regime, natural disaster-caused damages, or some other valid cause. Through TPS, these individuals can safely outlast the turmoil that has their… Learn More
  • The Family Second Preference (F2) Visa Application Process Explained - The US has been a long-time proponent of the phenomenon known as chain migration. It allows its citizens and LPRs to appeal to the USCIS and bring family members into the country. Thus, the family-based categories for visas were created under the INA. Specifically, out of the 3,909,684 family members on the shortlist, 436,269 belong… Learn More
  • The Family First Preference (F1) Visa Application Process Explained - All the family-based immigration categories are rooted in the American philosophy about family reunification. Out of 3,909,684 applicants on the shortlist, 6% are from the F1 category. The quota allowed for approval of F1 is 23,400 visas annually. Before we discuss the F1 Visa process in detail, let us familiarize you with what family reunification… Learn More
  • TPS (Temporary Protected Status) Extension for El Salvador - In 1990, the US government created TPS or Temporary Protected Status. It provides a safe haven to nationals from countries undergoing a major turmoil, such as natural disasters or an armed conflict. Thus, they can receive temporary relief from it and avoid deportation out of the United States. The secretary of homeland security may renew… Learn More
  • What is the Public Charge Rule? - The US made the public charge a part of its immigration policy back in the 1880s. It was to keep people who will become dependents of the US welfare systems from taking advantage of their immigrant status. However, the proposed Public Charge Rule Change will extend what it can control. Family-based immigration to the US… Learn More
  • The Fiancé Visa Process and How to Apply - Also known as the K1 visa, the fiancé visa doesn’t give the receive leave to become a resident of the United States. Instead, they can live in the country for 90 days. After the duration ends, they must marry the person who – should be a US citizen -- petitioned on their behalf. Only then… Learn More
  • Form I-130 - Form I-130 Petition for Alien Relatives Form I-130, or the “Petition for Alien Relatives” as it is officially called, proves that a US citizen or a green card holder and his/her alien relative who wishes to immigrate to the US are related. To ensure that the relative is approved for citizenship, it is imperative that… Learn More
  • How to Become a U.S. Citizen - Becoming a US citizen, you will have an unparalleled opportunity to broaden your horizons and pursue the American Dream. After becoming a legal permanent resident in the country, you will be eligible for becoming a ''naturalized US citizen" if you are able to fulfill all the eligibility criteria and requirements stated by the Congress in… Learn More
  • How to Get a Family Based Visa - Individuals who are closely related to a permanent US resident or a citizen of the country may get family based visas. There isn’t a limit on how many immediate relatives, such as children, spouses, or parents, a US citizen may apply for. However, the US Department of State does have an annual numerical quota for… Learn More
  • What is a T-Visa? - T-visas do not grant an individual immigrant status. Instead, it bestows a temporary immigration status on certain victims of cases of severe human trafficking. Due to it, the person granted the visa may remain in the US for a period of 4 years. Of course, stipulations apply in their case, which we will discuss below.… Learn More
  • How to Go From TPS to Having a Green Card - TPS holders are not guaranteed permanent residency. There are currently no concrete pathways to citizenship for TPS holders. If a TPS holder wants to stay in the U.S. after their TPS expires, the holder must get a green card through adjustment of status. This is often a challenge because the applicant must have a basis… Learn More
  • How to Enter the U.S. Legally - This post will cover the various ways that a person can enter the U.S. legally such as seeking asylum, getting a green card, or getting a visa. You will also discover explanations of some of the important terms you might encounter when researching how to enter the U.S. What is a Visa? There are many… Learn More
  • Form I-485 Process Explained - After you have submitted I-130, the Petition for Alien Relative, the next step in this process is to submit Form I-485. This is an application for adjustment of status. Form I-485 can be filed in seven categories: crime victim, special programs, special immigrant, asylum/refugee, family-based, employment based, and more. How Much Does it Cost? For… Learn More
  • What is Form 212(h)? - Form 212(h) is used for those people who are otherwise classified as inadmissible due to criminal convictions. Inadmissibility means that the person is physically in the U.S. but hasn’t been admitted under any formal status. This waiver, when approved, allows them to be pardoned of their criminal convictions. This waiver is used in connection with… Learn More
  • What’s a U-Visa Waiver of Inadmissibility? - The U visa waiver of inadmissibility is a discretionary benefit. This means that aside from a few hard rules such as a history of genocide or participation in Nazi persecution, you could use a u visa waiver to help you overcome grounds of inadmissibility. To get such a waiver, you must fill out Form I-192,… Learn More
  •  What is Form N-600? - Form N-600 is an official USCIS document which is filed for the purposes of getting a Certificate of Citizenship. This form serves as proof of your child’s or your own U.S. citizenship. If you are trying to claim citizenship through your parents as you were born abroad, you can use Immigration Form N-600. Knowing how… Learn More
  • What is an Asylum Caravan? - The Central American Asylum Caravan Thousands of migrants arrived at the US-Mexico border after traveling thousands of miles from their homes in Central America. These migrants come from El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras. The migrant caravan includes people from numerous countries. All of them were hoping to flee the violence and poverty of their home… Learn More
  • How to Get a Green Card Through Marriage - Spouse are eligible to get a green card for a U.S. citizen’s immediate relative. This is referred to as a marriage based green card and enables the immigrant spouse permanent resident status in the U.S. Some of the benefits of this green card include enabling the immigrant spouse the chance to get a driver’s license,… Learn More
  • What is Consular Processing? - Consular Processing is the process by which the beneficiary of an immigration petition, for example, a relative who is a foreign national and whom you are sponsoring to come to the United States, applies for a US immigrant visa at a US consulate or embassy in their country of residence. Consular Processing vs. Adjustment of… Learn More
  • Can Permanent Residents Sponsor Family Members to the U.S.? - You may have heard that some politicians are lobbying to stop or reduce family-based immigration to the United States so that green card holders and even U.S. citizens will no longer be able to sponsor foreign relatives for permanent residency or citizenship in the United States. This, however, is still only a proposal and the… Learn More
  • What is Political Asylum and How Do You Apply for It? - What is Political Asylum? Asylum is granted to immigrants already in the United States who are unable or unwilling to return to their home country due to persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution. The basis for political asylum are if a person will be persecuted due to their race, religion, nationality, membership in a… Learn More
  • What is Family-Based Immigration & The Family Reunification Program? - What is the Family Reunification Program? The family reunification program is the visa program through which immigrants who are legal residents or green card holders can petition to have their relatives join them in the United States. Visas are granted according to the family tree, resulting in family-based migration. Some politicians refer to this process… Learn More

Book Your FREE Consult


You have Successfully Subscribed!